The first and most important step before doing any of the following; make sure your hands are washed and clean
- Leave the wrapping on for a minimum of one hour or as otherwise directed by your tattooist.
- Remove the wrapping gently. If anything is sticking to the tattooed are run it under warm water until the wrapping comes free.
- Wash the area gently and thoroughly with warm water and plain unscented soap, such as Dove or Ivory using your hand only.
- Completely wash off all ointment and debris. Some excess ink and blood may be present and is normal.
- Let the area air dry completely, then apply a thin amount of lotion that is provided in the aftercare packet. Gently massage into the tattooed are until the lotion is gone.
- Apply a non-scented lotion such as Aquaphor or Jergens periodically throughout the day during the healing period of your tattoo.
- DO NOT pick, scratch, or cause any unnecessary trauma to the tattooed area. Scabbing is normal and will loosen and fall off on its own. Some scabs will flake off, shed, or loosen while washing and is part of the normal healing process. The use of a washcloth or body puff is NOT recommended.
- Some swelling and tenderness in the first few days is normal.
- Swimming or submerging the tattooed area under water for long periods of time until fully healed should be avoided. direct exposure of the tattooed area to sunlight, tanning beds, and harsh weather until fully healed should be avoided as well.